Monday, February 24, 2020

Liam's Cancer Fight-Day 1 NYC- Sightseeing

Monday I could definitely feel then anxiousness in me building. Before we left to come to New York I had a “dream” of sorts. A couple weeks ago a friend invited me to come to the adult session of stake conference. She was speaking and said every time she sat down to work on her talk she thought about me. I wasn’t sure if I should be terrified or flattered but I decided I was going to make sure I went to the meeting. The night came and Matt stayed home with the kids so I could go. As I walked into the chapel I felt a familiar peace like I was home. As the meeting started the stake president welcomed everyone and said he felt like there were several there that night looking for peace and comfort. I immediately had the overwhelming feeling of God’s awareness of us in our daily lives and in Liam’s fight with cancer. I felt like God was so proud of me both as a daughter of God and as a mother to his sweet spirits. As I sobbed quietly in the seats I realized I hadn’t even gotten through the first talk and already felt so filled with gratitude for this meeting. As my friend stood up to speak she talked about her trial having cancer as a young mom. She talked about how she had envisioned him having a conversation with Christ before coming to this Earth and he explained all that would be expected of her. She said they both laughed and cried as they went through her life. I felt like I could relate to so many things she was saying. As I left the meeting later that night I felt so touched and grateful that my friend had followed that prompting and invited me to come to a meeting I probably otherwise wouldn’t have attended.
Later in the week I had a similar experience. Some days I really worry about Liam and other days I feel so overwhelmed with peace. On this particular day I was worried about our upcoming New York trip. As I stood there doing dishes I saw Christ in this “daydream,” he and I were talking. As the conversation went on we talked about how I was chosen to be Liam’s mom and how he would have to endure this trial and it would be my job as his mom to protect and take care of him. But in the end we would be able to see him regain his full strength and grow up. I couldn’t hold back the tears. It was one of those tender mercy moments that has carried me through days like Monday.
With that in mind Matt and I both decided we needed to get out of our room and do something to keep our mind occupied. We found a local tour group with an open air bus(to avoid germs for Liam)that would take us around the city. It allowed us to hop on and off as we wanted. Off we went to Central park where we would catch the bus. The weather was perfect and you could even see some of the plants just starting to come out of the ground. We got to see several of your usual New York sites but I think my favorite was the 9-11 memorial. It was beautiful and there’s a peace there like I have experienced anywhere else in the city. But what really made it fun was watching Liam with his head off the side of the bus, like a puppy out a car window, letting the wind blow through his hair. He would wave at anyone that would look his way. He was just taking it all in. I’m sure it’s been hard for him to be cooped up in our condo too. As we got to the Statue of Liberty the hospital called to give us our appointment times for Tuesday morning. We needed to be there at 8 am for lab draws and to meet the surgical nurse practitioners, then the anesthesiologist at 9 am, drink contrast for his CT by 9:30, and then meet with Dr. Gerstle (surgeon) and Dr. Basu (oncologist) sometime in between.





 
 

 

   



 

We got back to the Ronald for dinner and then got ready for bed knowing it was going to be an early morning. I was grateful we had gotten out and that we were one day closer to why we were here. I'm also grateful for the several sweet tender mercies that have kept me going during this trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment