Saturday, February 29, 2020

Liam's Fight with Cancer-Establishing A New "Normal"

Coming home from New York and now knowing we are in a watch and wait phase with Liam's cancer comes with lots of emotions but mostly disbelief and the feeling of what do we do now? I guess we attempt to establish a new normal? Hallie has been asking for more one on one time with Matt and I so we decided now was as good of time as ever to start. I have been wanting to go to the exercise classes at the library for some time and so that what we did. Neither of us had ever been to a Zumba class and Hallie felt a little silly but we had a good time and it was so fun to do something "normal." It is something I think we will continue to do more frequently. I really enjoyed getting to have some one on one time with Hallie. She's getting to an age where she is more of an equal than a child in a few ways. The conversation is definitely more in depth and she asks more grown up questions.
When we got back from New York Liam was so excited to see and play with his sisters and his toys. It was so cute. I think we're all pretty happy to be back together.
Emy really wants to be helpful so I let her help as much as possible. She asked Liam if she could help put his shoes on and he went and sat down so she could help. I love seeing the kids get a long and helping each other.
Laundry basket rides have been a favorite of all of my kids. Liam is no exception. Watching his face light up as she pushed him around was a dream that kept us going those days in the hospital.
The school is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday this week by having fun dress up days. Hallie was the only one who wanted to participate in the mustache day and I think I did a pretty good job painting it on there. As we have gone throughout this week it is strange to think we are supposed to still be in New York with Liam recovering from surgery. Im grateful for so many things but a little one is that Im home to be able to participate in the fun dress up days like this with the girls.
I also feel more energy and desire to do things I don't think I had mental shelf space for while Liam was in active treatment. The girls and I have been trying new hair styles. This is Emmy...look how long her hair is getting.
I have learned through this cancer process that it really is the little things in life that make us happy and life worth living. Im so grateful to be home and spending time with all our kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment