Thursday, June 19, 2014

East Canyon with Friends

We have been enjoying the boat more than I can even express. Matt and I have decided we will try to pick a day each week to go up after work and do some boating so far it has worked well and the lake has been pretty much ours. Although we are finding that $20 bucks in gas just wont cut it we have had to cut our playing short the last couple times so now we know more gas is better than less. This particular trip was just days before we left for Powell and we went with Steph and Jon as well as Katie and Chris and their families. It was a blast but we also made our 1st major boating error. Matt and I left before everyone else so we could stop and get gas. We also got to the lake shortly before everyone else arrived so we had time to prep the boat and get everything set up. Matt asked if I wanted to wait for everyone to put the boat in. I said no I would rather unload it with just us and not have to worry about all the people being around. So we back down the ramp and got into the water without a problem. I headed out of the wake less speed zone to go run the boat in the loop while I waited for Matt to park the suburban. Matt called to tell me everyone else was parking and they would be down shortly. When I pushed the throttle the boat didn't get up and go like it usually does. I sat there running through the checklist of things that could be wrong and then it hit me....we forgot to put the plug in the back of the boat!! I quickly turned the boat around, turned on the bilge, and called Matt pretty frantic. He knew instantly something was wrong. I quickly explained and he was in the truck backing down the ramp but it seemed to take forever. I had both the girls with me and they could tell something was wrong. I did my best to explain to them but not freak them out. Hallie kept asking if we were sinking luckily we could see know water so I used that to explain that no we were not and even if we were thats why we wear life jackets. We got it back on the trailer and out of the water. We sat on the ramp watching the water drain(there wasn't as much as I had thought there to be). I was shaking and trying not to have a panic attack thinking how bad the situation really could have been. What if we had loaded everyone into the boat, what if I wouldn't have noticed so quickly, what if, what if??? Matt kept reassuring me I had done everything right but I was so nervous about the whole situation. How could we have forgotten something so simple yet so important? We looked in the back lockers there was little water but not much. We checked the engine and once again everything looked great. How had we been so blessed? When the boat stopped draining it was time to put the boat in the water...I was a nervous wreck to say the least and for most of the night I worried about everything and anything. I talked to my dad he said everything would be fine that you would never be a true boater until you forgot to put the plug in the boat so we had now been initiated. He laughed but I still didn't think it was to funny. He reminded me of the story of when he had forgot to put the plug in the boat...I even remembered it happening maybe thats why I knew what to do? Who knows but it truly was one of the scariest moments in my life and although I never want to relive it I hope to always remember it so it will hopefully never happen again! Now onto the fun part of our evening....the boating part.
 Gracie wanted her picture taken but then never wanted to smile but I promise she really likes the boat and pictures....most of the time
 Silly Chris with his and Zozo's string cheese
 Such a cute picture of Steph and Alice
 Early in the evening the water was a little choppy so we started with tubing. The kids loved it here they all are on the tube.



 Steph and Jon's family plus our Hallie
As the night went on the water got smoother we did some wake boarding and I skied. We all had packed dinner but we were to busy to even eat. We played until it was almost dark and we were out of gas sadly. We had lots more playing we could have done. We all ended up eating on the way home in the cars. It was a fun night with friends and any time spent boating is a great time as long as we remember the simple yet important things.



No comments:

Post a Comment