Sunday, July 6, 2014

Hand, Foot, and Mouth...not so fun

Sunday night Gracie spiked a temp of 101 while I was at a primary fireside. By the time I got home it was 102 but she was acting fine. We decided to put her to bed and we would just check her before we went to bed. But before we even got the chance to get to bed she was up 5 different times. We gave her some Tylenol it brought her fever down but didn't seem to do much for her restlessness. The next couple nights were rough she would get up and asked to be tucked back in only to be up less than an hour later asking the same thing. We knew something wasn't quite right after Monday afternoon there was no more fever so I just figured she had something viral that was passing through. Since she wasn't sleeping good she was back to napping 2x a day. On Tuesday she woke from her 2nd nap about 6pm with a horrible rash from her neck down. It was everywhere and looked not very good. I called her pediatrician and his nurse asked a bunch of questions and then suggested that she be seen but it could wait til the morning. Wed morning I called and talked to the Dr himself and he said it sounded like hand and foot and just to watch her and gave me a list of reasons I would want to bring her in. Both girls we running around like nothing was wrong playing and laughing I was a little surprised but happy it was that way. The rash started to diminish and still no fever or any other accompanying symptoms. Nights were still hard she would wake up when Matt left for work and climb in bed with me and we would sleep a couple more hours. I hate when kids are sick but love cuddle time.
 Wed night I went to check on Hallie before Matt and I headed to bed. When I went to pull up her covers I brushed her arm and it felt like it was on fire. I ran upstairs to get the thermometer and took her temp only to find that it was 104.6 F.I attempted not to panic as I ran back upstairs to get her some meds. I spent the next couple hours sitting up checking her fever every 30 minutes. By about 1am it was down to 102 and she was sleeping soundly. I check on her periodically through the night when I awoke worried about her. Thursday morning she was tired and still didn't feel well. She laid on the couch and watched tv. I went to look out the window and was startled to see a young buck in our front yard. Then it moved on to the neighbors house munching on the leaves. Hallie showed some signs of life as she rushed to the window to see the deer. Not everyday that there is a deer in our yard.
 Throughout the morning I would refill both girls sippies and we just took it easy. Ever couple hours I would take Hallie's temp but she was holding steady at 102. About noon she started to look more red so I check ed her again only to find her temp at 104.8....yet again panic. I call the dr immediately and they wanted to see us. They were able to squeeze us in so we got ready and headed for the Dr. By the time we got to the dr Hallie was starting to feel better with the medicine kicking in but I was relieved to have someone else assess her to make sure she was ok. After listen to our complaints they swabbed her throat for strep. While we waited for the rapid test to come back the dr asked to look at Gracie and sure enough she said she had a textbook case of hand, foot, and mouth but from her symptoms a very mild case. Hallies strep test came back negative so then we were assuming what Hallie had was the same as Grace but no spots yet. The girls enjoyed their sucks while the Dr. and I talked about what to do next.....pretty much wait and see if she had more symptoms.
 Here are a few of Gracie's "spots" they are diminishing everyday and have only been on her feet since about day 2 of the rash....like I said a very mild case. But we were still under quarantine since we are contagious and don't want to share our germs.
It is now Sunday Matt stayed home with both girls from church just in case. Hallie still has no spots and no symptoms. Both girls are still acting fine we will see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment