Thursday, April 4, 2019

Liam 4 Months & RSV

We sure love this little guy and can't believe how fast he is growing and changing. After a couple weekends in a row with extended family this little guy was dx with RSV. I knew he had a cold but was still eating and sleeping ok but on a Thursday afternoon I felt like I should take him in. The previous Monday he had his first fever but it only lasted about 12 hours and then it just seemed like a yucky cold. When I took him in they ran the test and checked his oxygen. His oxygen was good although earlier in the week I had noticed his oxygen was lower than normal especially while sleeping on his owlet. The test came back positive but instead of being devastated I was slightly relieved that because of the diagnosis our insurance would cover a suction machine to have at home. The dr said to prepare fro it to get much worse before better. I knew the drill but because his symptoms didn't start on one day and were pretty spread out they weren't sure which day of illness he was on. I continued as I had earlier in the week offering a bottle after every nursing session to keep him hydrated. We also started him on probiotics that I think really helped. And when I took him into his 4 month check 5 days later the dr was amazed at how well he was doing. In truth I think he had made it thru the worst of it before I took him in. I only had to suction him a handful of times and he continued to do well with eating and sleeping. He is still super alert and aware of the world around him. He still struggles with self soothing but we had started some sleep training but once he got sick I was feeding him anytime he would eat. We are still breastfeeding sometimes with more success than others. For my sanity when he doesn't nurse well he gets a bottle so Im not continually nursing. He is all over the place with how much he eats. Its anywhere between 4-8 oz. At his 4 month check
Length 25 5/8 in 70%
Weight 13lb 6 oz 20%
Head 17 in 90%
The Dr was slightly concerned with his weight but he is meeting all of his milestones so Im not concerned. I don't think she realizes that we don't make huge babies. He has also been playing with and sucking on his feet a lot. Its so funny he sucks on his big toe like a thumb when its uncovered. He is so close to rolling over but seems content to just hang out on his back and play. We have started putting him in the bumbo now that he has better neck control and he seems to enjoy being able to see the world around him. He definitely getting more interactive and his wake windows seem to be getting longer which makes it easier to get things done.
I still love when he will fall asleep when Im cuddling him. It makes me sad that he is growing out of that stage that he just completely passes out sleeping on us.

With him becoming more interactive it has allowed the girls to be more involved with him and they have really enjoyed getting to play with him more and more all the time.

Pictures by Emery 
Sleepy after eating
At our 4 month check
At about 3 1/2 months I was getting very discouraged that I was still not feeling like myself. I was short with the girls, Felt on edge most of the time, felt anxious almost all of the time about silly things, and just really felt off. I made an appt to see Dr Boheen and found out I have Post Partum Anxiety with slight depression. Although I wasn't surprised I was relieved that is wasn't all in my head. She gave me a prescription for Zoloft and I figured I would give it a try. For the last several months I had debated about this and felt guilty that I couldn't just fix myself without help. I felt like a failure in quite a few areas of my life. I realize now that it was just Satan trying to prevent me from getting help. I hope now that Im starting to feel better that I can feel like Im getting more of a handle on things. I also know that Liam's lack of sleeping has been affecting that so I have been doing some research about my options with that but I feel like we are headed in the right direction and it feels good to have a plan in action


No comments:

Post a Comment