Sunday, November 15, 2020

What Is A House Worth....Not A Body Part!?!

 It was a Sunday evening and we decided to run up to the house to make a a plan for the week and to make sure we had everything we needed. On Saturday Matt had bought a biscuit joiner to build the timbers in the family room. I didn't think we needed one but everything Matt had read said  that is what works best. He was trying it out on a small piece of wood and the wood slipped and the blade went right thru Matt's thumb. I was in the house and heard Matt yell that he needed some help. Its hard to describe but when he yelled I knew something was very wrong. I ran to the garage to find him bent over holding his hand with blood quickly pooling below him. I yelled for all of the kids and had Hallie and Gracie get the 2 younger ones in the car. Matt thought maybe we didn't need to go to the ER but I thought different. I immediately called my friend Amy and told her the situation and asked if I could drop the kids off to her. She was great and said bring them on over. We then drove to McKay Dee in Ogden. By the time we started to head for Ogden the adrenaline was wearing off and Matt was in quite a bit of pain. We got checked in and settled in the ER. Although the waiting didn't feel terribly wrong the pain was just getting worse for Matt. When we got our room they looked at it, took some xrays, and then started cleaning it up....but first injected some numbing medication. It was pretty yucky and another reminder why I work in the ER for sure.

After the xray came back and found there weren't any bone fragments. The blade had cut clean thru the bone. They were able to have the Dr that does all of their stitches come in. Matt ended up with 11 stitches and did great once they got it numbed up.




They sent us home with 2 weeks of supplies to clean and dress it. The dressing changes were so painful because no matter how much cream we put on it the gauze would stick and almost open things back up. The pictures below were 2 days after the initial injury and the first time we dressed it. 


It really slowed down the finish work at the house but luckily most of it is done. I try to help but I'm not as skilled as Matt for sure. It's super frustrating to him not to be able to just do what needs to be done. After 2 weeks we took most of the stitches out and it seems to be healing.

I'm so glad it wasn't worse and that his thumb was able to be repaired. 























No comments:

Post a Comment