Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Liam's Fight with Cancer-Urine Test Time

It has been 6 weeks and it was time for another cancer check up. This time just a urine dropped off at Mckay and then in a couple days we would hear the results. When we go to Primary's I put cotton balls in his diaper and give them to the lab but I guess Mckay doesn't do that so I had put cotton balls in his diaper and then tried to squeeze them into the specimen cup but I couldn't get anything out. I was frustrated and so I went back to the hospital and asked for a urine bag that I could put around his penis and scrotum to catch the urine. Once it was in place we went to the park and gave him a bottle of water and waited. It took about 30 minutes and luckily the bag had caught the pee. After 90 minutes of back and forth we finally had what we needed and I ran it into the lab and then we finally could head home.I hadn't been worried up to that point about follow up. I feel confident that he is done with all of the cancer stuff in his life but at the same time I'm terrified to be wrong. I did great until we dropped the test off and then I started worrying. I went back and forth for a couple days worrying then feeling peace that everything would be fine. By Friday the results still weren't in when the office closed at 5 by at 5:30 I check our account and saw there were new results available. It was them and now I had no one to explain the results. I called the on call oncologist and got to talk to Katelyn one of the oncologist NPs that we really liked. She was great we talked through things and she made me feel better. She put a note into Dr Fluchel to make sure we touched base on Monday. His Creatine was high but I guess in urine it fluctuates and so we will just check it in June when we do scans in blood work. 

Liam has now grown out of most of his clothes and the clothes he is coming into make him look so much older and it makes me sad but he looks so cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment