Monday, May 4, 2020

Refinishing-First Time In A Long Time

I used to be super crafty and always have some sort of a project going on but now with four kids those projects seem further and further apart. Sometimes its overwhelming to figure out how to keep all the kids safe and not in my way to finish a project but I think as the kids get older that will get easier. I have been watching for buffets for the end of the dining room in the new house. I found one at Sam's Club that I really like but it was $500 dollars so I was in no hurry to buy and store it. One day while on our way home form soccer practice I saw this one on the side of the road with a sign that said free. I had all the girls with me so we pulled over to check it out. It was sold wood and still in great condition! I was determined that I was going to get it in the suburban. We had to completely rearrange car seats and boosters but we did it. Next issue was figuring out how to lift it into the back of the car. Hallie and Gracie tried to help but they were struggling since it was so heavy. It started to rain and luckily a sweet man stopped by and asked if we needed help and within minutes we had it loaded and were on our way home with my latest prize.
I wasn't sure what Matt would think about this pretty good size piece of furniture sitting in our tiny garage but he was super impressed with our find and was helpful in picking a beautiful color to finish it.
After removing the hardware and scrubbing it down I put 2 coats of primer on it to make sure we had a good base to start with. It didn't take near as long as I though it would and for the most part the kids were really helpful. I spend a couple days of nap time painting which I think was a good idea.
And after one coat of the actual pain it started to take shape

My plan was to use hardware I already had but when it was done I decided the hardware it came with actually looked better. I think it will be prefect in the space and I guess if not I could always sell it and buy the other one I had been looking at but all in all I am into it only $60 bucks. I think that's an amazing find! And it was fun to do a project I think I'll try to do another sooner than later. It really is part of who I am and I think its good for me to be creative like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment