Friday, December 10, 2021

Hallie's 1st Formal Dance

 Just before the holiday break the Jr. high had their first formal dance of the school year. Hallie went to a friend named Frankie's house to get ready and then a couple moms carpooled them to the dance. It's funny to see how some girls at this age are boy crazy and some don't have any interest at all. Hallie is part of the latter for now...and I'm grateful for that. Hallie said she mostly just danced the fast songs with her friends. On the slow songs those same friends would push her towards boys they thought she liked. She said it was super uncomfortable and embarrassing. I'm happy she is getting to experience all these things that seems like no to long ago I did for the first time although it makes me sad as well to think she is growing up faster than I would like.


After the dance they got picked up and carpooled back to Paige's house for a friend party and gift exchange. They had some yummy snacks and played some games before exchanging gifts. Hallie and I had spent some time trying to decide what the other girls would like and how to put it together for a good gift. In my head I secretly wanted her gift to be the best one that everyone wanted. Hallie has had a hard time finding true friends. One day they are great and the next they are talking crap behind her back so I wanted her to feel accepted. The gift exchanged ended up being a disaster. Hallie called me from the bathroom sobbing begging me to come get her from the party. I panicked and jumped in the car to go grab her. While I was on my way thru broken sobs she told me she had been gifted a roll of toilet paper. When she opened it all the girls laughed. She was devastated and so was I. I was so sad and angry that this happened to her. I picked her up and took her home. I later received a text from Paige's mom about how sorry she was about the gift Hallie had received. I guess a couple of the girls thought it would be funny to bring a crappy gift instead of a good one. As a mom I'm asking myself how you protect her from that pain? How do I teach her to have thicker skin? That most girls feel alone at this age? And I don't think there is a great answer other than to love her and be there for her.



No comments:

Post a Comment