Monday, May 24, 2021

6462 Summit Cove-Leaving Sure Steel And Yard Changes

 I have been unhappy with Matt working for Sure Steel for quite a while. The promise of a family friendly company had become far from that with the unsaid requirement of working 60 to 80 hours a week as the expectation from Daniel. Matt and I would have frequent conversations about keeping balance and the constant battle to have family time. Matt would come home from work but his head would still be in work mode there were very few times that I feel like he could really just come home and relax. It all changed when Matt was contacted by a head hunter for a position in California. Initially I didn't think much about it since he had been contacted by several of them before but this time was different. After everything happened with Liam I think Matt really had to address whether our lives and his time were in order of our priorities. The further we got down the road the more nervous yet hopeful I felt. Matt decided to tell Daniel he was considering this new position despite my urges to not. As expected it didn't go over well and basically there was no attempt by Sure Steel to get Matt to stay(no pay increase, no offer for better balance) and constant nagging for him to decide if he was in or out. The new job came with similar benefits but working from home, traveling less, and almost double in pay. It seemed like a no brainer to me but I was still nervous to make the switch but we decided to go for it.  Matt put a start date in with Conxtec(the California company) the middle of June with the plan to stay 2-4 weeks with Sure Steel so there could be a smooth transition and hand off for all Matt's jobs and projects. I had to work but Matt wanted to let Daniel know(I thought this was a terrible idea after how he reacted before) so Matt called to let him know and it went worse than I ever imagined. Daniel in a way lost it and told Matt that he was no longer a employee of Sure Steel after that day and that he would need to bring in his lap top and cellphone by the end of the day. Matt was hurt he had given this company 7 years of his life and in one conversation it was over. I felt like Daniel handled it terribly and was panicked because we needed insurance until it picked up with the new company. On top of that it was our first month to make our mortgage payment. That night when I got home from work Matt and I tried to put together a plan. Matt had called and was unable to start earlier with Conxtec but they were able to start our insurance a month earlier so we then shifted Liam's scans a couple days so they would be covered. But then there was the matter of money. We had savings we could use but we didn't really want to do that. The hospital was busy so I called my manager and asked if I could work full time for the next 2 weeks until Matt started his job and she said they'd love to have me. It worked out great although it was a little crazy figuring it all out and I never want to have to go back to working full time long term ever again.

Another bonus of this is it gave Matt extra time to work on the yard and being in the equipment gave him some time to think about everything that he hadn't had time for in a long time. Liam initially was so nervous about riding on the equipment but after the first week we could hardly get him off of it.

Matt also got some other house projects started that he just hasn't had time for.

I taught Hallie how to run the weed eater. She of coarse was super excited although Im sure that wont last forever.
Stacking rocks for our fire pit
The raised playground area

Liam is loving this dirt area at the bottom of the slide. It stays in the shade majority of the day I can see him out the back door.

Gravel and a hole for the trampoline and sidewalk around the house
Although change is hard and scary I have come to believe as long as we are all together and healthy we can all be happy and we will figure it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment