Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Baby Day

The day finally arrived. Dr Boheen had schedule me an induction on Wed the 5th but was hoping others would deliver over the weekend so they could bump me up sooner. With the whole change of my due date I was more than frustrated but at this point my induction was just a couple days away so it really didn't matter. Lucky for us they called Monday night and said I could come Tuesday so we called Matt's mom and she came down to spend the night so we could leave early the next morning. We were supposed to leave our house at 7 but at 6 received a call that they had no space and needed us to wait....it was terrible. So we got the girls up and off to school. Matt ultimately decided to go to work since there was no reason not to. So that left Joy, Emy, and I to hang out until they called. We had some good conversation and then just watched some tv. One of my friends from work was texting me the progress in L&D and finally at 1pm they called me to come in. I called Matt and he came right home and we headed to the hospital.
This was it the last time I would be admitted to the hospital to have a baby...that felt surreal. We got there about 2 and they got us in a room, I changed, and they got my IV going. By 3pm they had my IV going with antibiotics because of my GBS status I needed 2 doses and a low dose of pitocin to get things moving. I was still dilated to a 4+ and 70%. I was convinced at this point that my body never had any desire to do the work on its own I need some pitocin to get things going. 
The Dr was supposed to come in and break my water but about 5:50pm it broke on its own. I was also dilated to 5 and 80% and just getting my 2nd dose of antibiotics going. My contractions were become stronger and more consistent.
To pass the time Matt and I decided to start a chart of guesses from family and friends on how big and long this little friend was going to be.
By 7pm I had my epidural and was a 6.5.

They found that all of my water hadn't broken so the in house dr came and broke what was left of it.  They had to turn down the pit because it was stressing him out and causing drops in his heart rate...which of coarse panicked me. At 8pm I was dilated to an 8 and 100% we knew it wouldn't be long after that.

Matt and I kept asking where Dr Boheen was and the nurse just said they would call her when I got closer. We were both worried she might not make it. At 8:24pm the nurse checked me and I was fully dilated. She seemed surprised and a little shocked as she called for help from her vocera and asked someone to call Dr. Boheen. 
Luckily Dr. Boheen knows me well enough that when they updated her that I was an 8 that she headed to the hospital and before they could call her again she arrived. They didn't even have the room completely set up. Dr Boheen took her jacket off replaced it with a gown and we were ready to push and after 3 pushes he was here.

I remember while being in labor how worried I was about everything and now he was here, safe, and healthy. Now none of that mattered. Here he is little baby Brower born at 8:41pm. Now the name game begins...thats a hard part for Matt and I. The top names we are considering are Grayson, Kyler, and Stockton. He weighed in at a whooping 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long!

He has the longest fingers and toes of all of our kids for sure. He was bright eyed and looked just like he belonged to us. We were instantly in love and now our family is complete.




For about an hour we took turns cuddling him as the nurses periodically checking on all of us. He ate great and then was just awake checking out the world
About an hour later we were moved over to the mom baby unit. By then it was 10pm and we got settled in for the night. Matt ran to the cafe for food and the nurse brought me something. I felt pretty good. After eating we decided to call it a night and went to bed for a couple hours until it was time to feed the baby again. The day was still feeling pretty surreal. We had waited so long for this little guy and he was finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment