Friday, March 27, 2020

Liam's Fight with Cancer-First Illness Post Active Treatment

Anytime Liam gets any sort of symptom I have to set the panic aside and think through them. Its hard because they are "normal" toddler symptoms for teething, ear infections, virus, ect. Before cancer I wouldn't have thought anything about them but now Im jaded. Thursday night/Friday morning Liam seemed a little unsettled. He was running a fever, not eating great, and was super clingy. He only slept for a few minutes every couple hours while he was being held. As the morning went on I just couldn't do anything to make him comfortable so I called the oncology clinic and then the pediatrician after the oncologist said it sounded like "normal" stuff. The ped office was so great. With the current COVID-19 situation the office is running two offices...a sick and a well office. He was having "sick" symptoms but I wasn't about to take him to the "sick office. I explained the situation and they looked up his chart and agreed that we should bring him to the "well" clinic. I called when I arrived in the parking lot and they gave me a room number. I entered through a side entrance and had Liam wear a mask. 
All the way there I felt at peace as I prayed that it would be something simple and we could get him feeling better. We weren't there more than five minutes and the Dr came in. Dressed head to toe in protective equipment and only a few short minute later he found the issue. Liam had a massive ear infection. He had been getting 4 teeth and had a clear runny nose that we assume caused the ear infection. Shortly after they called in the prescription and we were on our way. They put him on Augmentin since he has been on the pneumonia preventative antibiotics for the past few months.
We swung by Smiths on the way home and of coarse the antibiotic wasn't ready so we circled the pharmacy window to the back of the line. Liam was exhausted, felt crappy, and just wanted to go home. It took them a good 20 minutes to get it ready and I wanted to pull my hair out but as soon as I got it I gave him a dose and home we went. 
Once we got home I gave him some Ibprofen, put him in the tub(to decontaminate him from the Dr office),and sat to cuddle him. It didn't take long and he was out. Finally getting some much needed sleep. 

Oh how I love this sweet boy and I hope that as time goes by I will take a deep breath before I panic. I strongly feel that he is done with cancer and Im grateful for the reassurance the spirit gives me frequently about Gods plan for Liam and us. Thank heavens for ear infections....I don't know that I have ever felt that way about an ear infection before.

No comments:

Post a Comment