Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hallie 39 Months

Our sweet little mother Hallie. She is full of life and definitely keeps like interesting. She is growing into such a little adult and is definitely an oldest child. She is a very big helper and always looking after all of us. She has started trying to "mother" Gracie which at times is taken anywhere from ok to Gracie crying for help. When I tell her I will take care of Gracie and that I'm her mom one of her latest responses has been, "I'm getting older mom so I can be her mom too." So we are now trying to find the balance of having her help and have some responsibility and letting Gracie do her own thing and Hallie being a kid. I think we are only now finding out that parenting is hard. Like at times really hard. Trying to figure out what to say and do to help your child navigate life without being over protective or under involved is a balancing act I don't know that anyone ever masters. I asked my mom the other day why she never told me that parenting is hard and she said would you still have done it if I had told you. My response was well of course I would have but I would have at least understood more of what we were getting into and from what some of my friends are dealing with my kids are low maintenance.  But back to Hallie she is great at playing alone and has quite the imagination. I often like to sit and listen when she doesn't realize Im listening and listen to what she says and how she treats her toys. I think it helps me realize what she is hearing when I talk to her and is a nice way to self check myself and my parenting. Her favorites right now seem to be the little tikes house and people with the bus and farm they have a complete little community to pretend with. She often says she can't do something even if she has done it before and asks for help. Were working on not saying I can't but instead saying I will try and then asking for help if needed. She loves to watch tv and play games on our phones. She still dances all the time and now will even sing to herself. Give this girl a beat and she doesn't hold still. She still loves to read and we usually find her asleep in a book when we go to check on her before bed. We have been really trying to get her to nap but it usually only works 1-2 times a week so we have settled for "quiet time" which entails her staying in her room and reading, singing, doing puzzles, or just overall having some time to herself. The problem with not napping is that about 4-5pm she morphs into some kind of an emotional monster that takes quite a bit of patience to get back under control. She still isn't a big eater but has a sweet tooth like her mommy. She loves warm milk in a sippy and would live on those if I would let her. We are still working on getting her back to keeping her panties dry all the time. We are to the point that we can go days dry and then have a bad one here and there. Its quite frustrating for me but the pediatrician seems to think its just her rebelling probably from taking her binki.  She has really started to repeat phrases and body language that Matt and I use which is always an adventure one in particular is talking with her hands..its hilarious. Others include...what the heck? This is lame? That is dumb! She is a very sweet and tender hearted girl and is very concerned if someone is sad. We love being her parents and are grateful she is patient with us.


A little zoned out but funny none the less


No comments:

Post a Comment