Thursday, February 21, 2013

Valentine's Week

Valentine's doesn't seem to be just a day around here more like a week full of fun. On Monday Hallie got Valentine's at dance class from her teachers and the fun began. When we got home there was a box from Grandma Sheryl full of Valentine's goodies for all of us. She is so good at making birthdays and holidays special even when she can't be here. And of coarse it is so cool to get stuff in the mail.

 Hallie's little package included 4 princesses that she loves and has already played with for countless hours.
 Tuesday ment preschool and a fun V is for Valentine party. They exchanged valentines, decorated cookies, and made a heart necklace. Hallie said I love this time of year. Im not sure if its the sugar or just the presents.
Thursday was the actual Valentine's Day. We got up and got ready for the day and started preparing our special Valentine's dinner. We have never liked to go out on Valentine's...to many people. So we have now made it a tradition to spend Valentine's at home with our little family. 
The girls were thrilled when I offered them each a beater from our flourless chocolate cake. I think Grace had more on her face than she got in her mouth.
 Growing up my parents always got us a little gift for Valentines whether it was an outfit, a toy and always a few little treats. I loved it so we have decided to do the same thing for our girls. But we decided we wanted to wait until Matt got home to be  part of the fun. By the time Matt got home from work Hallie especially was dying to open the presents she had seen sitting on the table all day so before dinner we let them open them.
 Gracie got a little people airplane with a few more little people that lights up and plays music as well as a few treats. We are starting to have quite the little people set up.

 Hallie got a princess hair kit that she has been wanting for quite a while the look on her face was priceless. We have all had a turn to get out hair done even daddy.
 For dinner we had bacon wrapped filet mignon, butter poached lobster, asparagus, rolls, sparkling cider and of coarse our flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream and strawberries.....all gluten free. We were all quite happy with how it turned out. And it really wasn't a lot of work at all. Hallie's favorite part is always the sparkling cider.

 Matt bought me a new blow dryer and some dark chocolate treats. I got Matt a couple new shirts and some flavored almonds. Then we had one more surprise for the girls back in December I had a wild hair idea to make the girls each a "sleeping bag." It turned out to be a much bigger project than I had anticipated.

 I think they really like them and its a good thing because there was a lot of work and money that went into them. This project really made me evaluate how much something is worth if its handmade with love as opposed to buying it. Would I do it again?....probably not but it was worth it

I know many people think of Valentine's Day as a commercialized excuse to sell more chocolate but I think its an extra day dedicated to showing the ones you love how much you love them in different and creative ways than everyday. I love my hubby and my sweet girls and the special day we were able to have together showing each other how much we mean to one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment