Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Day to be Grateful

 Today has been hard. Gracie started getting sick Tuesday night but seemed like it was just a cold so Wed I went to work and she stayed with Amy. When I got home I found a sad little girl that had spent most of her day being held and asking about her mommy...I felt horrible. She had run a fever on and off all day and had a horrible croupy cough that didn't really allow her to rest for very long. I ran Hallie to dance and came back home since Gracie had cried most of the way there. Wed night wasn't much better she was up every 10-30 minutes til 2 am then she finally settled in til about 8.30. Once she got up I could tell it was going to be a long day any time I put her down she cried and acted completely miserable. So we settled in for the day in the recliner and found some shows to catch up on. Matt was so amazing and offered to take Hallie to her field trip to the dentist so I could stay home with Grace. I was shocked since I knew he had a thousand and one things to do but he told me he would make time....which means he will probably sleep less. Hallie was so excited her dad was taking her. I was happy we had a pretty free day planned. Gracie napped on and off in my arms all day...look at her sweet face. When she is awake her little eyes just look so sad.
Hallie was so wonderful. After she got home from her field trip she did everything without being asked. First she colored then she asked for some lunch Gracie had just fallen asleep on my lap so I asked what she wanted and she said a pb&j. I asked her if she thought she could make it herself and she said sure. She did a great job and even cleaned up everything. After lunch she got out her dolls and set out to build a doll city that kept her occupied for the rest of the day. Any time I needed something she was great and got it for me. I asked her to get a bottle of water to refill Gracie's sippy she replied of coarse mom what else do you need.  When it was time for a rest she said can I nap on the couch in case you need something and so if Gracie wakes up and needs me I will be here? I agreed and she built her bed on the couch. Seriously what 4 year old is like that.....my Hallie that's who. Here she is asleep in her "couch bed"
I had signed up earlier in the week to work tomorrow. I spent some of my day worrying that they were planning on me working and had forgotten to call or that I would have to call and tell them that I couldn't work since Gracie was sick. I finally decided to call only to find out that they were perfectly staffed. This has been unheard of lately considering they have been 4-5 nurses short each shift. After I got off the phone I started to cry. Why you may be wondering? Well first off probably because Im sleep deprived. More importantly because this past Sunday Matt and I spoke in church we were asked to talk about tithing. In many of the talks I found talked about how much the lord blesses us for paying our tithing although it may not be how we might expect them to come. It also said that often times the blessings are so small that if we are not in tune with the spirit we will miss them. In the moment I got off the phone I realized the blessings I had received today. I had worried all day about work I didn't want to put them in a spot they were short staffed but I also felt that I needed to be with Grace. Them being staffed well without me was such a relief.
And I can't imagine Hallie being any better/helpful than she was. Im grateful for the times in my life when I see the blessings the lord sends me.

No comments:

Post a Comment