Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Gut Issues

Oh man where to begin. Well its been 5 years since I was diagnosed with ulcerlative colitis so it was time to have another colonoscopy. I was surprised that I wasn't nervous I think because I saw having one as taking care of myself and making sure I don't get progressive cancer because I'm being careless with my health. With my diagnosis I have 4x higher chance of colon cancer than the average person. Matt was even shocked at how calm I was. Honestly the clean out was the worst part and I felt so terrible and hungry I just wanted it to be over. When I got in the back Dr Poole asked me about meds and I explained that I controlled my u.c. with diet alone to which he replied that was highly unlikely.  Upon coming out of sedation I found he had written me prescriptions for 3 new meds to take and just try. An antibiotic, a rectal steroid, and an oral steroid. I was a little bend out of shape and slightly worried about what they had found during the test. When he came to talk to me I inquired about the meds and he stated that I should take them all just to fell better. He was very short and avoided most of my questions stating why did it matter as long as I felt better. I was furious and frustrated and decided that day that I needed a new Dr. Thanks to Facebook I was able to get a couple suggestions and find the one I felt was best for me. Dr Porter. I also got my test results back that all my biopsies were clear and no cancer was detected.
After we got home I felt like death. Lots of blood, diarrhea, urgency, and stomach cramping. My sweet neighbor Jill was so nice and brought our family dinner that night while I laid on the couch.
I was praying that I would have some idea as to how I would be able to get feeling better and be able to take care of my family. Then I had the idea come to my head that I should call my chiropractor and go see him. Dr Tanner has been awesome for a long time. I have since been to see him 3 times. He has help close the valves in my gut that get stuck open when its inflamed. As well as help me narrow down what foods are inflaming my body at this point. I really believe he truly cares and wants to help me get better. 
I have now also been to see Dr. Porter and was very pleased at what he said. He fully believes that I can control my u.c. with diet and has a good majority of his patients that do. He also has a couple patients with cancer than is now in remission strictly based on diet. We also discussed a possible allergy link  with my u.c. so he suggested seeing an allergist! Hallelujah! Although he did suggest I take a low dose Lialda because it will cut my chance of cancer in half because it is a low dose aspirin that focuses in the gut and creates a barrier to protect the body. Along with gluten free he suggested a low carb diet to help my gut. I have since been doing that and am feeling much better. I will start the meds shortly. It has now been 5 weeks since my flare started so Im pleased that its getting back in check. He also suggested having a colonoscopy every 2 years to stay on top of the cancer risk....not thrilled about that but Ill do it.
I know as we move forward we will have to continue to make adjustments but I feel at peace that we're doing what we need to be doing and that ultimately it will give me the opportunity to feel well and take care of myself and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment