Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Oregon Coast Day 5 Newport to Portland

Tuesday morning was super rough. I felt so crappy I couldn't even get out of bed without having to run to the bathroom...it was super miserable. Luckily Matt was able to get the girls ready and packed up while I laid in bed and did nothing. He's such a great dad/partner willing to jump in and do whatever needs to be done.
That morning the clouds started to break and the sun came out on and off.
This was by far the best hotel as far as the view was concerned
Then we headed to marine discovery tours for our whale watching and crab fishing. We had been looking forward to this day for the entire trip. Since we had already booked and paid for everything before I got sick we decided I would survive and off we went. While we waited for our boat we went to check out the sea lions. The docks have special places for the seal and sea lions to lay. They all come and lay on the platforms,sleep, and bark at each other. The girls thought that was so cool and Em cried when we had to leave


Then we loaded up the boat. I said a prayer that I would be ok and wouldn't get sea sick on top of everything else. We also were on the tour with a couple high school classes. It did in some ways work to our benefit since there weren't any other little kids. The girls got to throw out the crab pot...which they loved! But first they had to bait them


And for good luck they let some of the high school boys kiss the fish bate

Then into the ocean they went

The girls were also super thrilled when the captain told them they could each have a turn to drive


We got to see a few cool things on our way out of the harbor. This is the oldest Coast Guard boat that exists. Its over 100 yrs old and now only comes out for special occasions
Then we were off to the sea or so we thought. As we entered in to the ocean we got thrown around pretty good. This was probably the time I came closest to loosing it but I wasn't the only one some of the high school kids also didn't do so well. I think my saving grace was a high winds that kept cool air in my face. Shortly afterwards the captain decided it was safest for us to return to the harbor. We were really sad since we were hoping to see whales but better safe than sorry. 
On the way back in we stopped to collect our crab pot and see if we had caught anything. We did way better than what I had anticipated
The girls were excited yet freaked out...love Gracie's face in this picture


They were able to pass around the crabs and showed us how to hold them so they couldn't hurt us
At first Hallie didn't want to hold them afraid they would get her
Gracie decided that petting the crab wasn't so bad

Em wasn't really sure what all the fuss was about but didn't like the idea of Matt getting the crab to close to her face either
This guy of mine is one of a kind. He is up for whatever whenever. He picks up the slack when Im struggling and pushes and encourages me all along the way.
Although we had a great time I was thrilled to be back on dry land. The boat in the background is the one we rode on in the harbor for our tour
We were really glad we went and once again it was time to get on the road to our next destination. I still felt pretty crappy so we decided to bypass Silver Falls and head straight to our next stop...Portland. It was a long drive but we all slept a little bit and Em had a good nap. We ate snacks since no one was really hungry. We got to our Portland hotel at a good time and settled in for the night. Matt ran to the store and got us stuff for dinner and my sick belly. The girls loved the taco bar the hotel provided and I was just glad to be somewhere for a couple days and not on the move. That night Matt helped me get in the tub so I didn't fall over and I quickly fell asleep after keeping some apple sauce down. Matt got all the girls bathed and ready for bed. Once again I was reminded how amazing he really is and how much he loves me and our girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment