Saturday, March 21, 2015

Getting Ready for 1st Grade!!

As crazy as it seems to me summer is coming faster than I would like to admit. I think that may have something to do with the fact that we really never had a winter but regardless the school year is wrapping up and that means that we needed to decided what we wanted to do with Hallie for this coming school year. I knew that we were going to be between houses in the rental but still at this point aren't sure for how long. Keeping this in mind and the fact that we are under a rental contract until Dec we decided to send Hallie to Shadow Valley Elementary. At this point the plan will be to transition her to Valley Elementary after Christmas break. I wasn't sure what to expect as we had decided to continue to keep her a grade ahead and have her start 1st grade this coming year. Last year I was met with such resistance and really no where to go hence why she ended up in private school. But once I called the district and got an appt set up with the school I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it really was. Hallie is so smart, very outgoing, and social and so Matt and I had no hesitations having her bumped ahead but I also think we could be semi bias since we are her parents. But when we met with the school I was pleased that they said she was more than ready for 1st grade and is well into 2nd grade skills! The day we went to fill out her registration paperwork the secretary asked if she had any questions. We have been talking about it for a while now, how schedules will change, what a normal day will be like for her, and so forth but I don't think I grasped how much she understood until the secretary asked that question. Hallie thought for a minute and replied, I would like to meet my teacher, see my classroom, have a tour of the school so I know where the bathrooms are, what do you serve for lunch, where does the bus pick me up, what time does school start, and how many breaks do we get....ect? All the secretary and I could do is laugh as she explained to Hallie that most of that information would come in the mail later this summer and then there would be a special back to school night when she would get the rest of her questions answered. After we left Hallie was really excited now we jst have to make it through the summer so she can get back to school. After we finished we decided to head to the playground next to the school. The girls had a ball climbing, swinging, and sliding. I don't know if there are many sounds better than the laugh of a child that is truly enjoying themselves. While they did that I called and updated Matt on how our meeting had gone and how impressed they were with Hallie.
Hallie said, Mom take a picture of me now that Im almost a big 1st grader!
Oh how I love our growing girls although I wish they weren't doing it so quickly. Here's to learning new things and attempting to do what we think is best for our girls. The next year is going to be packed with firsts and learning opportunities for us. Im a little nervous about the unknown but mostly excited that we will all be learning together.

No comments:

Post a Comment